Basic SEO Tips Part 2

This is Part 2 of our basic SEO lesson. Click here for Part 1.

In our last lesson, we talked about the basics of setting up your page, as well as getting backlinks to your pages. Now we need to discuss something VERY important – OVER-optimization. Yes, you can optimize your sites TOO well!

If you follow every single SEO tip you find, you may just find your site penalized for being too well optimized. Apparently a lot of search engines have caught on that people who have “near-perfect” SEO are often spammers who flood the search engines with useless garbage. Most “real webmasters” don’t use a lot of SEO techniques. In fact, the pages the search engines want in their index often don’t use much SEO at all aside from accidental techniques!

Let’s take the example of “fried chicken recipe”. What would you rather find if you were searching for a fried chicken recipe – a page with an article that talked about how to find a fried chicken recipe and repeated the keyword in ten different locations but had no actual recipe, or a page written by someone’s grandma (who knows nothing about SEO) with an actual fried chicken recipe? It’s very unlikely anyone would actually choose the page with no actual recipe, and neither would the search engines!

So most “legitimate” pages on the internet, the quality pages, use very little SEO. That also means a lot of quality pages will never be ranked high in the search engines unless they get a tremendous amount of high-quality backlinks.

So some search engines seem to now be penalizing sites that have too much SEO, so to speak. They are looking at pages that use too many specific SEO elements, and they’re getting suspicious. So these pages may be sandboxed or even deindexed!

So my advice to you is to not worry too much about SEO. Have your keyword phrase in your title, once or twice in your text, in your URL, and in anchor text, but don’t overdo it! Write for the people who visit your site, your readers. Don’t write for search engines! If you worry too much about keyword density, you risk over-optimizing your site AND you risk writing articles that no one wants to read.

Some ways to avoid over-optimization:

  • Don’t worry about keyword density.
  • Don’t repeat keywords in the title.
  • Don’t use too many H1 tags.
  • Vary the anchor text that links to you. (See below)
It’s important to vary the text that sites use to link to you. If you’re optimizing a site for “fried chicken recipe”, don’t use that exact text to link to your site over and over! Search engines are onto this. Make about 75% of your links use this text, and the other 25% should be divided between around 5 other phrases that are similar. You might use phrases like “mom’s fried chicken”, “my mother’s fried chicken recipe”, and “southern fried chicken recipe”, for example.
This concludes our two part basic SEO lesson. The best thing you can learn from this is to optimize carefully, but worry more about writing content people want to read rather than writing for the search engines!

Leave a Reply

Posted by: admin on

Tags: , , ,